Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Urology Visit

So today was Katie's appointment at the Primary Children's Urology unit. It went really well, the doctor was very nice and explained things to us really well although I'm not very good at relaying what she told us. It made sense when she explained it and I think I understand it, but to share that isn't very easy, especially without pictures. So I won't really try to, but for now we are going to be giving her a daily dose of antibiotics to keep her from getting any more kidney infections which can damage her kidneys which, as you can guess, is a bad thing. Then in a year she'll need to be tested again and see how things are going. If it's healing, or looking better we'll probably wait another year and then get checked out again and see how she's doing. They say sometimes the body heals itself and other times they need to have surgery but it can take anywhere from 1 to 3 years to heal itself. The surgery is she needs it, doesn't sound like it's that big of a deal and it's a same day surgery. We actually had the option to do that now, but for obvious reasons we want to hold off on surgery as long as possible and perhaps not even need it. But her kidneys look good, so that's a plus. Katie's case isn't a severe one, on a scale from 1-5, 5 being the worst Katie was between a 2 and 3 so that's really good, a 1 means you don't have reflux into the kidney, which we obviously knew she did. So we play a waiting game now and for the next one to three years we'll re-evaluate her situation every year. She was pretty cute at the doctors today, and I realized how much she is changing. It's amazing how you look at your kids every day but you have these moments where you look at them and feel like you're seeing them for the first time in a really long time. It's always such an odd feeling when this happens. It's kind of scary. I guess just because you realize how fast they change and grow up and you feel like you miss so much.

So I have some really cute pictures to post, but I can't right now because our camera battery is dead and I haven't found the charger yet, I think it's upstairs in our room but haven't had a chance to look today so I am going to have to take a look. If I find it perhaps I'll write another post later today with pictures. We have some pretty cute ones!! Until then, adios!

1 comment:

sweetmama.heather said...

I'm so glad things went well today. Here's to healing completely! Love you guys!