Monday, December 29, 2008

Life challenges

Today has been an interesting day, I don't think a lot of people know about Katie so I will give a little background to today. On December 19th Katie got sick, she had a fever and threw up a couple of times, her fever was about 102.7, so on Saturday I took her in to see the doctor. Thankfully while we were there the nurse was asking us all these questions and it came out that Katie was complaining when she peed that it hurt her bum. So they had us get a urine sample. It came back that she had a kidney infection, so the doctor told me about the body and how the kidney sends stuff down to the bladder through a tube (or something like that, I'm not a doctor) and there's a flap that is supposed to stop the urine from going back up to the kidney. So either the bacteria got in through her blood stream or that flap isn't working properly and it came from the bladder. So we had to schedule a procedure (that ended up being today) that would check to see if the flap was working. Fast forward to today, we took her to the hospital to have it done. They had to put a catheter in and emptied her bladder, and then they put in a TON of dye, I couldn't believe how much they put in. Then they took pictures (by X-ray) and then they had her empty her bladder and then they took more pictures. It turns out that the flap isn't working quite right because there was dye in her kidney. It was miserable for Katie, but she did such a good job. I think the worst part of it was the urge to go pee, you should have seen how huge her bladder was compared to what it looked like after she peed. Poor thing!! She did such a good job though, and I got to comfort her, which amazed me. I really don't know how to explain what I'm feeling, but I was so scared for this procedure, and I was worried I wouldn't be able to handle it, but I put all my fears aside and was there for Katie. It was just amazing to me how much I seemed to step up to the plate and do what I needed to do. Anyway, afterward we went and got ice cream. Thankfully this procedure didn't have any lasting effects, as soon as it was over, it was over! She's such a big girl!!

2 comments:

sweetmama.heather said...

I'm so glad she was a big girl for you as well as being a big girl for her. I'm sorry I didn't know about this earlier and hopefully things will turn out alright. I'm sending our love your way and will keep Katie and you in our prayers.

Robin said...

Your poor girl!
Hi Jes! I don't know if you remember me from KMart but I found you on Ashley's blog...cute fam!!!